Hi! 
I‘m trying to learn healthy ways to make the food my husband and I grew up eating. 

So this Chicken Adobo is the very first Filipino dish my father taught me how to make:

6-8 chicken thighs or breasts

1 cup vinegar (apple cider or white)

2 cup soy sauce 

6-8 cloves or garlic (no need to dice)

1 medium yellow onion (sliced)

2-4 tbsp Worschestire sauce (optional)

Cook onion and garlic in a 4 qt pot in medium/low. Add chicken and cook a minute each side. Add vinegar followed by soy sauce (do not stir or mix!). Cover. Simmer until chicken is done - there should still be a lot of liquid sauce on the bottom. Add Worschestire sauce at the end to desired sweetness and mix until it’s distributed. Serve with a side of rice and top rice with a little sauce from the pot.

Like all family recipes, it’s done by taste and not measuring but these are measurements I‘ve used over the years. My uncle uses Sprite instead of Worschestire sauce, my aunt uses sugar, etc. If you like sour, add more vinegar, salty add more soy sauce. My family prefers it more on the sour and sweet side. If cooking in Instapot or slow cooker, reduce vinegar to 1/2 cup and soy sauce to 1 cup. 

So how do I make this healthy? It’s a staple comfort food dish in my family and very flexible - my grandmother uses salmon belly instead of chicken, my mom uses pork ribs to switch things up etc. 

Thanks!