I've got a new refried bean recipe that I love and it's low fat. The key is buying organic pinto beans from the bulk section of the store you go to, you want them to be fresh.

To have beens for the week I recommend 1lb of dried pinto beans to start. Put them in a pot and fill the pot with water about an inch above the beans, bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer, uncovered, for 90 to 120 minutes. After 30 minutes, add half a sweet or yellow onion and 3 crushed cloves of garlic. Add pre boiled water if it recedes below the top of the beans.

Once they are done just set them aside, DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER THEY WERE SIMMERED IN! Discard the onion but leave the garlic with the cooked beans.

In a wok or small pot add 1/8 cup of organic safflower oil and warm it up on medium low heat. Add the other half the onion and 3 more cloves of garlic. Simmer until onion and garlic are thoroughly browned. Discard onion and garlic. If you are using a wok, you can start adding the cooked beans (no liquid), if you are using a small pot, add the oil to a skillet or larger pan, then start adding the beans.

Keeping it on medium/low heat, add some of the water from the beans and use a potato masher or large spoon to mash the beans. Add salt, paprika and cumin to taste. If you like it spicy you can add chili powder and a touch of cayenne powder.

I continue adding the water from the cooked beans until I get the right consistency I'm looking for. If necessary I will add regular water once the bean water is out.

Let me know if you have any questions.